Current:Home > InvestRekubit Exchange:3 murderers freed in Australia after court ruled out holding migrants indefinitely, minister says -FinanceMind
Rekubit Exchange:3 murderers freed in Australia after court ruled out holding migrants indefinitely, minister says
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 12:16:21
CANBERRA,Rekubit Exchange Australia (AP) — Three murderers are among 81 foreigners recently released in Australia after the High Court ruled their indefinite detention in migrant centers was unconstitutional, the immigration minister said on Tuesday.
The court hasn’t released the reasons behind its ruling last week that overturned a 2004 precedent that stateless people could be detained indefinitely.
The Melbourne-based Human Rights Law Center reported last month that 127 people had been detained more than five years. The average was 709 days.
Australia’s center-left government had argued against the release of the foreign and stateless detainees whom Australia does not want to resettle and other countries are reluctant to accept.
Opposition lawmakers called them “hardcore criminals” and accused the government of endangering the public by releasing them.
Immigration Minister Andrew Giles said the released foreigners included three murderers and several sex offenders. He offered to give deputy opposition leader Sussan Ley a breakdown later of how many had been convicted of sex crimes.
“The decision of the High Court which requires release effects very, very serious offenders,” Giles told Parliament.
One of those convicted of murder is Sirul Azhar Umar, a former police officer who was sentenced by a Malaysian court in 2015 to be hanged over the death of a Mongolian woman whose body was dismembered with military-grade explosives.
The 50-year-old had fled to Australia before he was sentenced in absentia and had been held in detention for nine years until the High Court decision last week. Australia cannot extradite anyone to a country where that person could face capital punishment.
Details of the other two convicted of murder were not available.
Ley highlighted the case of Afghan-born Aliyawar Yawari, whom she described as a “violent sex predator who attacks elderly women in their home.”
The 65-year-old moved into a motel in the west coast city of Perth after being released from detention, The Australian newspaper reported.
He was convicted of multiple offenses against three women between October 2013 and December 2014, the newspaper reported.
Home Affairs Minister Clare O’Neil said the people who had been released had been subjected to stringent visa conditions and some were required to report to police daily.
“Some of these people have committed disgusting crimes,” O’Neil told Parliament.
“Some of them have hurt people who are still here in our country and it is those victims that we care about,” she added.
The High Court case decided last week was brought by a member of Myanmar’s persecuted Rohingya Muslim minority, identified in court as NZYQ, who was convicted of raping a 10-year-old boy in Sydney and sentenced to five years in prison. He went to indefinite immigration detention after prison.
veryGood! (2262)
Related
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Thousands flee disputed enclave in Azerbaijan after ethnic Armenians laid down arms
- 3 crocodiles could have easily devoured a stray dog in their river. They pushed it to safety instead.
- Feds open investigation into claims Baton Rouge police tortured detainees in Brave Cave
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Taylor Swift Joins Travis Kelce's Mom at Kansas City Chiefs Game
- WEOWNCOIN: The Fusion of Cryptocurrency and Global Financial Inclusion
- Lizzo tearfully accepts humanitarian award after lawsuits against her: 'I needed this'
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Don't let Deion Sanders fool you, he obviously loves all his kids equally
Ranking
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Breakers Dominika Banevič and Victor Montalvo qualify for next year’s Paris Olympics
- 1st and Relationship Goals: Inside the Love Lives of NFL Quarterbacks
- First refugees from Nagorno-Karabakh arrive in Armenia following Azerbaijan’s military offensive
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- When does 'Survivor' start? Season 45 cast, premiere date, start time, how to watch
- Jailed Kremlin critic transferred to a prison in Siberia, placed in ‘punishment cell,’ lawyer says
- 1st and Relationship Goals: Inside the Love Lives of NFL Quarterbacks
Recommendation
Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
India had been riding a geopolitical high. But it comes to the UN with a mess on its hands
Jury selection set to open in terrorism trial of extended family stemming from 2018 New Mexico raid
QB Joe Burrow’s status unclear as Rams and Bengals meet for first time since Super Bowl 56
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
Misery Index message for Ole Miss' Lane Kiffin: Maybe troll less, coach more
Settlements for police misconduct lawsuits cost taxpayers from coast to coast
Oil prices have risen. That’s making gas more expensive for US drivers and helping Russia’s war