Current:Home > MarketsNovaQuant-5 members of Canada's 2018 world junior hockey team to face sexual assault charges, report says -FinanceMind
NovaQuant-5 members of Canada's 2018 world junior hockey team to face sexual assault charges, report says
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 13:04:01
Five members of Canada's 2018 world junior hockey championship team have NovaQuantbeen told to report to the police in London, Ontario, to face sexual assault charges, according to the Globe and Mail newspaper.
That team has been under investigation for an alleged sexual assault of a woman in a hotel room after a Hockey Canada gala in the Canadian city in June 2018.
The newspaper said the five players, who were not identified, had not been charged and had a set period of time to report to police headquarters. The Globe and Mail cited two people with knowledge of the situation who it did not name because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the case.
"We are unable to provide an update at this time," a London police department spokesperson said in an email to USA TODAY Sports. "When there is further information to share regarding this investigation, we will be in contact with media outlets."
The department said on its website that it expects to hold a news conference on Feb. 5.
The NHL and the NHL Players' Association said they had no comment at this time.
What is the history of the investigation?
Canadian network TSN reported in May 2022 that an undisclosed settlement had been paid to a woman who alleged in a $3.55 million lawsuit that she was sexually assaulted by eight players — including members of the country’s gold medal-winning world junior championship team — after a 2018 Hockey Canada gala in London.
Further reporting by TSN showed that Hockey Canada's National Equity Fund had been used to settle sexual assault claims. The organization announced in July 2022 that an independent investigation had been launched into the 2018 team and promised reforms, including training on sexual violence and consent. Executives and board members have since stepped down.
Later that July, Hockey Canada said it was informed by TSN reporter Rick Westhead about an alleged group sexual assault at the 2003 world junior tournament in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said that July that the league was also looking into the allegations and that he expected full cooperation.
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said in June 2023 that the investigation was done and the league expected to have a report available for review in the summer.
Hockey Canada receives independent report
Hockey Canada said on Nov. 14 that an independent group's hearing into the case had been completed and the report had been turned over to the involved parties.
However, because of an appeal, Hockey Canada said the findings couldn't be released at that time. It expected the appeal to be heard soon.
"Hockey Canada has cooperated fully with the London Police Service throughout its investigation and we are committed to continuing to support the legal process," the organization said in a statement. "We confirmed with the London Police Service in advance that an announcement concerning the independent adjudicative panel will not affect its investigation.
"Pending the completion of the appeal process, all players from the 2018 National Junior Team remain suspended by Hockey Canada and are currently ineligible to play, coach, officiate or volunteer with Hockey Canada-sanctioned programs."
veryGood! (2932)
Related
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Wilt Chamberlain’s 1972 finals jersey expected to draw more than $4 million at Sotheby’s auction
- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau separating from wife, Sophie
- Florida set to execute inmate James Phillip Barnes in nurse’s 1988 hammer killing
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- If I'm invited to a destination wedding, am I obliged to attend?
- Royal Caribbean cruise passenger goes overboard on Spectrum of the Seas ship
- Lighthouse featured in ‘Forrest Gump’ goes dark after lightning strike
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- North Carolina hit-and-run that injured 6 migrant workers was accidental, police say
Ranking
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Banking executive Jeffrey Schmid named president of Kansas City Federal Reserve Bank
- Black bear, cub euthanized after attacking man opening his garage door in Idaho
- Steve Jobs' son starting investment firm to focus on new cancer treatments, per report
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Prepare to flick off your incandescent bulbs for good under new US rules that kicked in this week
- 10 injured after stolen vehicle strikes pedestrians in New York City, police say
- HSMTMTS Star Sofia Wylie Details the Return of Original Wildcats for Season 4
Recommendation
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
Trump indictment key takeaways: What to know about the new charges in the 2020 election probe
Pope Francis can expect to find heat and hope in Portugal, along with fallout from sex abuse scandal
Former USMNT and current Revolution head coach Bruce Arena put on administrative leave
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
A powerful typhoon pounds Japan’s Okinawa and injures more than 20 people as it moves toward China
CVS layoffs: Healthcare giant cutting about 5,000 'non-customer facing positions'
Framber Valdez throws 16th no-hitter in Astros history in 2-0 victory over Guardians