Current:Home > StocksOliver James Montgomery-Donald Trump's campaign prohibited from using Isaac Hayes song after lawsuit threat -FinanceMind
Oliver James Montgomery-Donald Trump's campaign prohibited from using Isaac Hayes song after lawsuit threat
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 12:05:44
A federal judge in Atlanta ruled Tuesday that Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump and Oliver James Montgomeryhis campaign can no longer use Isaac Hayes' song "Hold On, I'm Comin.'"
The ruling comes nearly a month after Hayes' family threatened to sue the former president over his use of the track, co-written by Hayes and performed by soul duo Sam & Dave, at rallies.
"Today our family was granted an injunction against @realdonaldtrump from playing @IsaacHayes3 music ever again," Hayes' son Isaac Hayes III wrote on X. "We are please(d) with the decision by the court and move to the next phase of this lawsuit."
Hayes III previously shared a copy of a copyright infringement notice on social media, filed by lawyer James Walker and issued to Trump, demanding his campaign pay $3 million in licensing fees. The late singer's family was considering suing for 134 counts of copyright infringement for the "unauthorized use of the song" at campaign rallies over the last two years.
Read more here:Isaac Hayes' family demands Trump stop using his song at rallies, $3M in fees
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
The notice also demanded the Trump campaign remove videos featuring the song and issue a public disclaimer, or else face "further legal action."
Judge Thomas W. Thrash Jr. granted the Hayes estate's request to halt Trump's use of the song, but the judge reportedly denied the estate's motion to remove previously recorded uses of the song from the campaign, according to CNN and The Associated Press.
While speaking to reporters after the hearing, Trump's attorney Ronald Coleman said the former president's legal team was pleased with Thrash's ruling on previous uses of the song. Coleman added that the Trump campaign had already agreed not to use the track anymore.
"The campaign has no interest in annoying or hurting anyone, and if the Hayes family feels that it hurts or annoys them, that's fine. We're not going to force the issue," Coleman said, per CNN and AP.
Following the judge's ruling, Hayes' son told reporters he was "very grateful and happy," according to AP.
"I want this to serve as an opportunity for other artists to come forward that don’t want their music used by Donald Trump or other political entities and continue to fight for music artists’ rights and copyright," his son said, per the outlet.
The Hayes family's motion against the Trump campaign is listed as a preliminary injunction in the case, according to the U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia website. Future hearing dates were not immediately available.
Hayes died on Aug. 10, 2008. He co-wrote "Hold On, I’m Comin,'" released in 1966, with David Porter. The soul-pop hit has been covered by Aretha Franklin, Waylon Jennings, Eric Clapton, B.B. King and Tina Turner.
The number of songs Trump can use at his rallies is steadily decreasing.
Donald Trump v. Beyoncé:Trump's campaign removes 'Freedom' video after reports singer sent cease and desist
Hayes' family joins a long list of people who have demanded the former president stop using artists' music at his rallies, including Sinéad O'Connor's estate, Prince's estate, The Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr, Brendon Urie of Panic! at the Disco and the family of Tom Petty.
Contributing: Taijuan Moorman, USA TODAY
veryGood! (87)
Related
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Record number of Australians enroll to vote in referendum on Indigenous Voice to Parliament
- Suspect in fatal shootings of four in suburban Chicago dead after car crash in Oklahoma
- Young Latinos unable to carry on a conversation in Spanish say they are shamed by others
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Biden administration announces $600M to produce COVID tests and will reopen website to order them
- Crash involving school van kills teen and injures 5 others, including 2 adults
- A panel finds torture made a 9/11 defendant psychotic. A judge will rule whether he can stand trial
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Cheryl Burke Weighs in on Adrian Peterson's Controversial Dancing With the Stars Casting
Ranking
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- 19-year-old daredevil saved after stunt left him dangling from California's tallest bridge
- GOP lawmakers clash with Attorney General Garland over Hunter Biden investigation
- U.S. woman arrested in Afghanistan among 18 aid workers held for promoting Christianity, local official says
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Seattle City Council OKs law to prosecute for having and using drugs such as fentanyl in public
- Ohio police response to child’s explicit photos sparks backlash and criticism over potential charges
- Google sued for negligence after man drove off collapsed bridge while following map directions
Recommendation
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
Malaria is on the ropes in Bangladesh. But the parasite is punching back
Why Golden Bachelor Gerry Turner Is About to Change Everything You Thought About Fantasy Suites
Did your kids buy gear in Fortnite without asking you? The FTC says you could get a refund
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
Catholic priests bless same-sex couples in defiance of a German archbishop
Buddy Teevens, Dartmouth football coach, dies 6 months after being hit by pickup while cycling
Oklahoma man made hundreds of ghost guns for Mexican cartel