Current:Home > StocksNebraska governor reverses course and says state will take federal funding to feed children -FinanceMind
Nebraska governor reverses course and says state will take federal funding to feed children
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 13:33:16
LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — Nebraska Gov. Jim Pillen reversed course on Monday and announced that the state will accept roughly $18 million in federal funding to help feed hungry children over the summer break.
Pillen announced in December that the state would reject the funding, defending his position by stating, “I don’t believe in welfare.” But he came under intense pressure, including from some members of his party, to accept the money.
At a news conference Monday, Pillen said he decided to accept money allocated through the U.S. Department of Agriculture after meeting with a group of high school students from around Nebraska who visited the state Capitol this month.
“They talked about being hungry, and they talked about the summer USDA program and, depending upon access, when they’d get a sack of food,” Pillen said. “And from my seat, what I saw there, we have to do better in Nebraska.”
The Summer Electronic Benefits Transfer for Children — or Summer EBT — program was widely employed as part of federal assistance made available during the COVID-19 pandemic, and then made permanent in 2022. It provides pre-loaded EBT cards to low-income families, those whose children are eligible for free and reduced-price lunches at school, and those who are already on food assistance, Medicaid and other assistance programs. Those families would receive $40 per eligible child for each of three summer months. The cards can be used to buy groceries, similar to how SNAP benefits are used.
Pressure from lawmakers, particular those from rural areas, also played a part in Pillen’s about-face. The governor previously argued that Nebraska would continue to help food-insecure children through the Summer Food Service Program, a separate program that provides meals and snacks at various sites when school is not in session. But critics countered that not all families have access to the on-site programs, particularly in Nebraska’s vast rural stretches, where the sites can be far from struggling families.
A bill from state Sen. Jen Day of Omaha, a Democrat in the officially nonpartisan Legislature, would have forced the state to accept the federal funding. The bipartisan support for the program became clear when Republican state Sen. Ray Aguilar, of Grand Island, made Day’s bill his priority for the session, giving it a good chance to be debated by the full Legislature.
Aguilar was among two dozen Republican lawmakers who appeared with Pillen at Monday’s news conference.
Nebraska was one of 15 states — all with Republican governors — that opted out of receiving the funding this year. Those states include neighboring Iowa, where Gov. Kim Reynolds criticized the federal food program as doing “nothing to promote nutrition at a time when childhood obesity has become an epidemic.”
Reynolds’ office declined to answer questions Monday about whether she is holding to her rejection of the funding.
State Sen. Megan Hunt, of Omaha, thanked Pillen for deciding to accept the funding.
“This goes to show that all voices make a positive difference, and that hard work and building support across the state and across the political spectrum on common ground issues to help Nebraskans and bring our tax dollars home is a win for everyone,” Hunt tweeted.
The deadline for states to declare that they are participating this summer had been Jan. 1, but the USDA extended it to Thursday.
Pillen said Monday that Nebraska officials had already reached out to the USDA to confirm that the state would participate this year.
The USDA did not immediately answer questions about whether any of the other 14 holdout states had indicated by Monday if they would participate this year, but said the agency is committed to working with those that are “operationally ready to participate successfully in 2024.”
veryGood! (26437)
Related
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Jon Gosselin Addresses 9-Year Estrangement From Kids Mady and Cara
- 1.5 Degrees Warming and the Search for Climate Justice for the Poor
- Warming Trends: The ‘Cranky Uncle’ Game, Good News About Bowheads and Steps to a Speedier Energy Transition
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Amy Schumer Calls Out Celebrities for “Lying” About Using Ozempic
- Natural Gas Rush Drives a Global Rise in Fossil Fuel Emissions
- In Georgia, 16 Superfund Sites Are Threatened by Extreme Weather Linked to Climate Change
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- High-Stakes Fight Over Rooftop Solar Spreads to Michigan
Ranking
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- In Georgia, 16 Superfund Sites Are Threatened by Extreme Weather Linked to Climate Change
- Massachusetts Can Legally Limit CO2 Emissions from Power Plants, Court Rules
- Former Australian Football League player becomes first female athlete to be diagnosed with CTE
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Man fishing with his son drowns after rescuing 2 other children swimming at Pennsylvania state park
- Massachusetts Can Legally Limit CO2 Emissions from Power Plants, Court Rules
- Woman dies while hiking in triple-digit heat at Grand Canyon National Park
Recommendation
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
Warming Trends: School Lunches that Help the Earth, a Coral Refuge and a Quest for Cooler Roads
After Dylan Mulvaney backlash, Bud Light releases grunts ad with Kansas City Chiefs' Travis Kelce
As Special Envoy for Climate, John Kerry Will Be No Stranger to International Climate Negotiations
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Chelsea Handler Has a NSFW Threesome Confession That Once Led to a Breakup
Man accused of running over and killing woman with stolen forklift arrested
Woman stuck in mud for days found alive