Current:Home > News4 bodies recovered on Mount Fuji after missing climber sent photos from summit to family -FinanceMind
4 bodies recovered on Mount Fuji after missing climber sent photos from summit to family
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 12:35:54
Four bodies were recovered near the summit of Mount Fuji, Japanese media reported Wednesday, days before the summer climbing season begins.
Authorities have long warned climbers to take care when attempting to scale Japan's highest mountain, where hiking trails officially open on Monday.
The bodies of three people were found near the volcano's crater as rescuers searched for a Tokyo resident who did not come home after he climbed the mountain, national broadcaster NHK said. The man had snapped photos from the summit and sent them to his family on Sunday, it said.
NHK also said the identities of the three bodies had yet to be confirmed.
Another climber called police from a trail near the summit on Wednesday and reported his companion had become ill and lost consciousness, NHK said.
The person was taken to a hospital in the area, where his death was confirmed, it said.
Local police could not immediately confirm the report to AFP.
Mount Fuji is covered in snow most of the year but more than 220,000 visitors trudge up its steep, rocky slopes during the July-September hiking season.
Many climb through the night to see the sunrise and some attempt to reach the 3,776-metre (12,388-foot) summit without breaks, becoming sick or injured as a result.
In 2019, Japanese police found a body on Mount Fuji after a man was seen falling down a snow-covered slope while livestreaming his climb up the mountain on YouTube.
Overcrowding on Mount Fuji
Regional officials have raised safety and environmental concerns linked to overcrowding on the mountain, which is a symbol of Japan and a once-peaceful pilgrimage site.
Exactly how many tourists visit Fuji — and how many is too many — is up for debate, Thomas Jones, a professor of sustainability and tourism at Japan's Ritsumeikan University who has studied the mountain since 2008, told CBS News last year.
"You would have to find consensus" for what constitutes carrying capacity, he said, "and at the moment there isn't really anything like that. So, there isn't really a kind of concerted effort to limit the number of visitors there."
Just last month, a barrier was put up in a popular viewing spot for Mount Fuji in the town of Fujikawaguchiko, where residents had complained about streams of mostly foreign visitors littering, trespassing and breaking traffic rules.
Hikers using the most popular route to climb Mount Fuji — the Yoshida trail — will be charged 2,000 yen ($13) each this summer and entries capped at 4,000 for the first time to ease congestion.
- In:
- Mount Fuji
- Japan
veryGood! (8195)
Related
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Pregnant Lea Michele Cradles Bump in First Appearance Since Announcing Baby No. 2
- Angelina Jolie claims ex Brad Pitt had 'history of physical abuse' in new court filing
- New Mexico electric vehicle mandates to remain in place as auto dealers fight the new rules
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- NC State's D.J. Burns has Purdue star Zach Edey's full attention and respect
- Part of a crane falls on Fort Lauderdale bridge, killing 1 person and injuring 3 others
- Mercedes workers at an Alabama plant call for union representation vote
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- 'No that wasn't the sound system': Yankees react to earthquake shaking ground on Opening Day
Ranking
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Here's What Sisqó Is Up to Now—And It Involves Another R&B Icon
- Breaking Down Sacha Baron Cohen and Isla Fisher's Divorce Timeline
- Horoscopes Today, April 4, 2024
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Nickelodeon Host Marc Summers Says He Walked Off Quiet on Set After “Bait and Switch” Was Pulled
- Panthers sign Pro Bowl DT Derrick Brown to four-year, $96 million contract extension
- 2 Muslim women were forced to remove hijabs for mug shots. NYC will pay $17.5M to settle their suit
Recommendation
Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
Federal investigation begins of fatal Florida crane collapse; bridge reopens
What Sofía Vergara and Joe Manganiello Are Each Getting in Their Divorce
Michael J. Fox Reveals His One Condition for Returning to Hollywood
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
Hunting for your first home? Here are the best U.S. cities for first-time buyers.
'The surgeon sort of froze': Man getting vasectomy during earthquake Friday recounts experience
Final Four X-factors: One player from each team that could be March Madness hero