Current:Home > InvestJohnathan Walker:Strong opposition delays vote on $1.5M settlement over deadly police shooting -FinanceMind
Johnathan Walker:Strong opposition delays vote on $1.5M settlement over deadly police shooting
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 11:42:24
Dozens of Honolulu police officers appeared alongside other city officials Wednesday in a strong show of opposition to a proposed $1.5 million city settlement over a 2021 officer-involved shooting of an unarmed Black man.
City Council members ultimately postponed voting on Johnathan Walkerwhether to approve the settlement of a wrongful death lawsuit filed on behalf of 29-year-old Lindani Myeni. Myeni was fatally shot on April 14, 2021, after a struggle with officers outside a Honolulu vacation rental he was accused of having entered without permission.
The two officers who shot Myeni, Brent Sylvester and Garrick Orosco, who was seriously injured, were cleared of wrongdoing in June 2021 by Alm’s office, which declined to pursue charges against them.
Council members said they wanted time to review evidence and ask more questions of the Honolulu Prosecutor’s Office in closed-door sessions of the Executive Matters and Legal Affairs Committee. The matter will be taken up again at the council’s next meeting in November. If the settlement is not approved, the case will go to civil trial next year, said James Bickerton, a lawyer for Myeni’s widow.
Lindsay Myeni, who filed the lawsuit in 2021, testified tearfully in support of the settlement and held up her husband’s bloodied shirt with bullet holes that he had been wearing that night.
Mayor Rick Blangiardi, Honolulu Prosecutor Steve Alm, Jonathan Frye, Honolulu chapter chair of the state’s police union and police Chief Joe Logan encouraged council members to vote against the settlement and said they felt the police did nothing wrong.
Alm testified Wednesday that on the night of the shooting, Myeni was the aggressor and officers tried multiple less-lethal methods, including deploying a Taser, to subdue him. Myeni beat one of the officers, causing multiple facial fractures, and the officer has still not been able to return to work, Alm said.
Alm also noted that Myeni, a former rugby player, suffered from stage 3 chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a degenerative brain disorder often seen in people who have had repeated concussions or head trauma. CTE can cause confusion, mood swings and aggression, he said.
“My office is not a rubber stamp for HPD,” he said. “We take each case very seriously, and in this case, they acted appropriately.”
Myeni’s attorney told council members that Alm left out important information, including the fact that officers didn’t tell Myeni they were police when they approached him. They also shined high-intensity flashlights, called Maglites, in his face, which blinded him. He couldn’t see that he was being approached by officers and was trying to defend himself from unknown assailants, Bickerton said.
“Mr. Myeni had a right to defend himself,” he said. “It escalated wildly and fast, but there was no need, no reason to kill someone unarmed.”
Bickerton also objected to the presence of so many armed officers in the City Council chambers during testimony.
“I’ve never seen anything like it,” he said later in a telephone interview. “It’s literally a show of force. It has no place in a democracy. If you want to come down and testify in a civil matter, leave your guns back in the station.”
Some council members said they were confused by what they saw as a lack of communication between the city’s corporation counsel, which negotiated the settlement, and the prosecutor’s office.
Most of the details of the case already had been discussed in closed-door meetings of the Executive Matters and Legal Affairs Committee, but no one from the prosecutor’s office had presented to the committee or shared the finding of its 2021 report, said council member Andria Tupola, who represents the Westside.
Council member Esther Kiaaina, who represents the Windward side, pointed out that the standard for proving guilt in a criminal case is different than proving liability in a civil trial.
But Alm said he believes the city would prevail in a civil trial because jurors would still have to be convinced that police acted inappropriately.
Frye said approving the settlement would send a message to officers that their city doesn’t support them.
“If we go to settlement on this, we’re going to send a message to every officer that they really don’t matter, their lives don’t matter,” he said. “I would rather see this case lost in court.”
Bickerton said he initially asked for more than $5 million in damages for his client, but he and the city worked with a mediator to come to a compromise. The settlement would provide closure for his client’s family, and help Myeni’s children, who are now 3 and 5, have a better future, he said.
“It buys peace, not only for the Myeni family, but for the officers themselves,” he said.
Lindsay Myeni told council members that her husband, who was originally from South Africa and had moved with her to her home state of Hawaii, was a community leader, spoke five languages, studied engineering, and at one point had aspired to be a police officer himself.
“He was almost one of you,” she said, addressing the officers standing behind her in the council chambers. “I wish you guys had just talked to him like a human and not exterminated him.”
___
This story was originally published by Honolulu Civil Beat and distributed through a partnership with The Associated Press.
veryGood! (2234)
Related
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- American Idol's Scotty McCreery Stops Show After Seeing Man Hit Woman in the Crowd
- 'Deadpool & Wolverine' deleted scene teases this scene-stealing character could return
- Meghan Markle Shares One Way Royal Spotlight Changed Everything
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Wimbledon champion Barbora Krejcikova knocked out in the second round of the US Open
- Stefanos Tsitsipas exits US Open: 'I'm nothing compared to the player I was before'
- Jeremy Allen White models Calvin Klein underwear in new campaign: See the photos
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Death toll is now 8 in listeria outbreak tied to Boar’s Head deli meat, CDC says
Ranking
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Why ESPN's Adam Schefter Is Fueling Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift Engagement Rumors
- 'Deadpool & Wolverine' deleted scene teases this scene-stealing character could return
- GM delays Indiana electric vehicle battery factory but finalizes joint venture deal with Samsung
- 'Most Whopper
- Wisconsin sheriff investigating homicide at aging maximum security prison
- All eyes are on Nvidia as it prepares to report its earnings. Here’s what to expect
- Jeremy Allen White models Calvin Klein underwear in new campaign: See the photos
Recommendation
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
What is a returnship and how can it help me reenter the workforce? Ask HR
Nick Cannon and Brittany Bell's Advanced Son Golden Is Starting 4th Grade at 7 Years Old
New US rules try to make it harder for criminals to launder money by paying cash for homes
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
Woman files suit against White Sox after suffering gunshot wound at 2023 game
Adam Sandler Responds to Haters of His Goofy Fashion
How safe are luxury yachts? What to know after Mike Lynch yacht disaster left 7 dead