Current:Home > ContactHouthis launch more drone attacks as shipping companies suspend Red Sea operations -FinanceMind
Houthis launch more drone attacks as shipping companies suspend Red Sea operations
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 11:51:50
The American military said one of its ships deployed to the Red Sea has successfully shot down more than a dozen drones launched from areas of Yemen controlled by the Houthi militant group.
The guided missile destroyer USS Carney struck 14 one-way attack drones that formed part of a "drone wave," according to U.S. Central Command. No ships in the area were damaged and no one was injured, the U.S. military said.
A spokesperson for the Houthis asserted in a statement posted on Telegram that the group had fired a "large batch" of drones toward the Israeli coastal town of Eilat, at the northern tip of the Red Sea, as part of what they called "a victory for the oppression of the Palestinian people."
The group vowed to continue such attacks until Israel ends its campaign in Gaza, but a spokesperson insisted the attacks could become less frequent if more humanitarian aid was allowed into Gaza.
Saturday's attempt to target Eilat marked the latest incident in the region, with U.S. forces having earlier shot down a drone that was harassing an oil tanker Wednesday.
Britain's defense minister, Grant Shapps, said in a statement that the U.K. naval vessel HMS Diamond had also recently shot down what he termed a "suspected attack drone" that had targeted merchant shipping. "The recent spate of illegal attacks," Shapps wrote, "represent a direct threat to international commerce and maritime security in the Red Sea."
The Houthis, who control large swaths of northern Yemen, have said they will continue to attack vessels that are either owned or operated by Israeli firms, or are in transit to Israel.
The United States has long said the Houthis receive financial and military support from Iran, alongside other militant groups such as Hezbollah, which is based in Lebanon and has been involved in heightened clashes for the past two months with Israel's military in the region close to the two countries' shared border.
U.S. Central Command earlier this month said it had "every reason to believe that these attacks, while launched by the Houthis in Yemen, are fully enabled by Iran."
The impact on the international shipping business has been seismic, with Northern European companies Maersk and Hapag-Lloyd on Friday telling their ship captains to avoid the region or hold in place while the threat persists.
The Swiss-headquartered cargo giant MSC said on Saturday its vessels would cease transit through the Suez Canal for the foreseeable future after one of its ships, Palatium III, was attacked Friday morning.
That incident sparked a fire on board, though no crew members were injured. The company told customers its journey times would become several days longer as ships en route from Europe and North America to Asia would now need to travel far farther, around the southern tip of Africa.
veryGood! (6656)
Related
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Conservative groups are pushing to clean voter rolls. Others see an effort to sow election distrust
- Beastie Boys sue Chili's parent company for copyright infringement
- Heavy rains leave at least 200 crocodiles crawling around cities in Mexico near Texas, increasing risk for the population
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Alec Baldwin’s Rust Involuntary Manslaughter Trial Takes a Sudden Twist
- Serena Williams takes shot at Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker during ESPY Awards
- Inflation may be cooling, but car insurance rates are revving up. Here's why.
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Over 2,400 patients may have been exposed to HIV, hepatitis infections at Oregon hospitals
Ranking
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Police chief resigns after theft of his vehicle, shootout in Maine town
- Ex-NYPD officer is convicted of assault for punching a man 6 times
- Chicago exhibition center modifying windows to prevent bird strikes after massive kill last year
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- North Carolina’s Medicaid expansion program has enrolled 500,000 people in just 7 months
- U.S. says it will deploy more long-range missiles in Germany, Russia vows a military response
- MOD Pizza has new owner after closing 44 restaurants amid bankruptcy rumors
Recommendation
Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
Things to know about heat deaths as a dangerously hot summer shapes up in the western US
Pregnant Lea Michele Reunites With Scream Queens Costar Emma Roberts in Hamptons Pic
FBI searching for 14-year-old Utah girl who vanished in Mexico
Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
Potentially dozens of Democrats expected to call on Biden to step aside after NATO conference
Alabama agrees to forgo autopsy of Muslin inmate scheduled to be executed next week
Heavy rains leave at least 200 crocodiles crawling around cities in Mexico near Texas, increasing risk for the population